This guide describes the enhanced Travel Requisitions functionality in Kimble Release 1.25. We have also attached a .pdf version for your convenience.
Kimble provides fully integrated Travel Requisition functionality. This integration means that travel costs are reflected accurately in projects, and ensures that where appropriate they are rebilled. Management Reporting helps you to identify unnecessary, unplanned (late-booked) or cancelled travel.
A Travel Team can centrally manage all Travel Requisitions. Travel Requisitions are fully integrated with Chatter allowing for seamless, tracked interaction between Resources and the Travel Team. Configurable Approval Rules ensure that Travel Requisitions are controlled as needed in your organization, for example allowing higher cost options to be booked with suitable justification.
Resources will only be able to requisition Travel for Activities that have been set to allow Travel, and only for Engagements that the Resource is assigned to for the period of Travel. Multiple categories (Kimble supports Flight, Train, Hotel, Taxi and Car Hire) can be included in a single request.
Travel Requisitions are automatically added to the Activity as an expense and can be available for billing, depending on configurable Expense Category Rules.
Bookings can be amended or cancelled, and any incurred cost can be attached to the Activity, or absorbed, as appropriate.
Travel Requisitions can be raised by the Resource who will be travelling, or by someone else, such as the Project Manager. This request will then be sent to the central Travel Team. The central Travel Team can provide a number of options, which can be sent back to the requestor. The requestor can pick their preferred option and send back to the central Travel Team. The Travel Team can then book travel and forward confirmation. At this point cost is actualized on the Engagement.
To raise a Travel Requisition:
- Navigate to the Travel Requisitions screen and click .
- On the Travel Request Details screen, enter the below details.
- Resource – who will be travelling (this defaults to the user raising the Requisition, but can be amended, allowing a manager to raise a Requisition on behalf of one of their team, for example).
- From Date – Date the Travel begins
- Activity – only Activities that the Resource is assigned to on the From Date can be selected in this field
- Name – enter a name for the Travel Requisition (for example; ‘Trip to Dublin’)
- To Date – Date the Travel ends
- Reason/Purpose – enter the purpose of this Travel
- If anyone else within the organization will be Travelling, click Add Other Traveller and add their details.
Configurable field sets allow you to record additional information such as Frequent Traveller details.
- Click Add [Expense Category] to add the Expense Category to the Travel Request.
The available Expense Categories will be limited by the Expense Categories for this Activity. In this example, these are:
- Add Flight
- Add Hotel
- Add Train
- Enter the relevant details, including any notes for the Expense Category.
- Click .
The request details are displayed. Chatter is fully integrated on this page, to facilitate any conversation between you and the central Travel Team.
- Click Request Itinerary to raise the request with the Travel Team.
The Status of the Travel Request is set to: PendingItinerary
Once the Travel Team has provided options (click here for the Travel Team process), select your preferred Itinerary Options.
- Open the Travel Requisition and choose your preferred option(s) by selecting the radio button(s). These selections are captured in Chatter.
If the Requires Approval box next to an Option is ticked, this Option will require additional Approval from the Activity Owner before the Travel Team book.
How this is used will depend on your organization’s internal processes, but typically this might be where an Option is above a certain cost threshold, or where cheaper Options are available.
Click Submit for Approval.
This will send your preferred Itinerary back through any required Approval process, and onto the Travel Team for booking.
If any further discussion is needed, this can be handled through Chatter.
Once the central Travel Team have booked the Travel, the status will be updated to Booked, and the Booking Reference will display on the Travel Requisition.
To make changes to a Travel Requisition:
- Navigate to the Travel Requisition.
- Click Amend Booking.
- Make changes in the Travel Request Details screen.
4. Click .
Then proceed to Request Itinerary.
You may wish to quickly create another Travel Requisition similar to this one – perhaps you will be travelling to a client site again at a later date, for example.
To quickly create a similar Travel Requisition:
- Navigate to the Travel Requisition.
- Click .
- Make the necessary changes for this new Travel Requisition.
- Click .
Then proceed to Request Itinerary as you would with any new Travel Requisition.
As a member of the central Travel Team, you can view all Travel Requisitions on the Travel Requisitions screen (accessible through the App Launcher in Lightning or All Tabs in Salesforce Classic). List views can be filtered and sorted, enabling you to focus on Travel Requisitions that require action. The list can also be sorted, which can be useful if, for example, Travel Requisitions with a sooner From Date need to be looked at more urgently.
It may be appropriate for you to offer the Resource a number of options. Perhaps there is a cheaper flight at a slightly less suitable time, or there are multiple suitable Hotels at different price points.
To provide Options:
- Click on the name of a Travel Requisition that is Pending Itinerary.
- On the Travel Requisition screen, click Update Itinerary Options.
- Enter the Itinerary Options & Costs for the first Option.
- Click Add Option to add another Option, then enter the relevant details.
Next to each option, you can also tick the Requires Approval checkbox to confirm if the Option requires approval.
If you tick this box, and this Option is selected by the Resource, there will be an additional Approval step where the Activity Owner will need to Approve this cost.
This can be useful if, for example, you have a process to book travel without approval up to certain limits, but one or more options are outside of those limits. The Requires Approval? checkbox triggers the approval process for an option that is outside those limits.
For help configuring Approval Rules, please have your Kimble System Administrator log a ticket with the Kimble Support Desk or contact your Customer Success Manager.
- Click .
- Click Submit for Itinerary Approval. This sends the Options to the Resource, for them to select their preferred Itinerary.
Chatter is fully integrated on this page, easily facilitating any dialogue that may be needed between the Resource and the central Travel Team.
Once Itinerary Options have been sent to the Resource, the Status of the Travel Requisition is set to PendingItineraryApproval
Once all required Approvals have been given, and Travel has been booked, it is important that a member of the Travel Team updates the Travel Requisition to reflect the bookings. This step records the Booking References, and recognizes the cost of the travel on the Engagement.
- Navigate into to the relevant Travel Requisition.
- Click Book Now.
- In the Book Now window:
- Select the Supplier
- Enter the Net Amount
- Enter the Booking Reference
- Enter any Booking Notes
- Click .
The Booking Reference is now recorded, and the cost of the Travel Requisition is recognized on the Engagement.
A warning displays on the Travel Requisition: Warning: This Travel Requisition has already been booked. Changes may incur additional charges.
If further changes are required, click Update Booking under the Booking Reference.