This guide describes new Resource Scheduling and Time Entry functionality included in Kimble Release 1.24. We have also attached a .pdf version for your convenience.
In Kimble Release 1.24, Resource Scheduling and Time Entry have been enhanced to allow the input of Start and End Times.
When scheduling a Resource via the Assignment Calendar, you can now indicate that the scheduled day has a Start and End Time. These expected Start and End Times will be recorded as a Forecast Time Entry.
For each Resourced Activity, you define whether Start and End Times will be an option when managing a Resource’s Assignment through the Edit Activity Assignment window.
- Previously, only the Date could be scheduled. This meant the Salesforce Calendar would always reflect scheduled usage as an all-day event.
- With 1.24, if you are scheduling usage with Start and End Times, those times will define the Start and End Times of the activity in the Salesforce Calendar (and, if Salesforce is synchronized with Outlook, in the Outlook Calendar).
- When looking at the Calendar view, you will be able to identify a scheduled day with Start and End Times by this clock icon:
- With 1.24, you can define Associated Attributes when you add Start and End Times to assignments in the Assignment Calendar (or as you forecast usage to a certain number of hours when the Scheduled Time Rule is DateTimeWithForecastTimeEntry or DateOnlyWithForecastTimeEntry). This behavior is not available in the Assignment Calendar by default since it involves adding Custom Fields that reflect your needs. To enquire about configuring this in your system, please contact Kimble.
You may need to require your Resources to record Start and End Times for all Time Entries on a Resourced Activity. In 1.24, you can define, on each Resourced Activity, whether Time Entries will require only the Date, or if they will require the Date as well as the Start and End Time.
If you require Start and End Times, Entry Hours will be defaulted from the difference between the End Time and Start Time. The defaulted Entry Hours can be reduced within the time range (i.e. 1 hour within a 2 hour range) but increasing to greater than the time range will push out the End Time.
Time Entry Rule and Scheduled Time Rule
Edit Resourced Activity
Within a Delivery Engagement, you might have multiple Resourced Activities. Each Resourced Activity can have different settings for Scheduled Time Rule and for Time Entry Rule.
Scheduled Time Rule determines whether Start and End Times will be an available option when managing an assigned Resource’s scheduled usage through the Assignment Calendar.
Time Entry Rule determines whether Start and End Time will be required when entering Time against the Activity.
The Time Entry Rule and Scheduled Time Rule do not need to match.
You might want to add Start and End Times while scheduling (for Calendar accuracy purposes) without requiring users to enter Start and End Times during Time Entry.
Conversely, you might require users to input Start and End Times during Time Entry so you can account for their time, even if it wasn’t scheduled ahead of time.
Time Entry Rule
There are two possible Time Entry Rules.
- DateandTime: Requires Start and End Times, which define Entry Hours.
- Date Only: Requires only Entry Hours.
Scheduled Time Rule
There are three possible Scheduled Time Rules.
- DateOnly: Assignments will only be set on a Date. No Start or Time will be set.
- No Forecast Time Entry is generated.
- In the Salesforce Calendar, a scheduled day will show up as an all day event, with the Usage Rate (i.e. 4 hours) in the Description.
- DateOnlyWith ForecastTimeEntry: Assignments will only be set on a Date. No Start or Time will be set.
- A Forecast Time Entry is generated. Even though it does not describe a time range, this Forecast Time Entry object can be useful for reporting on scheduled usage.
- In the Salesforce Calendar, a scheduled day will show up as an all day event.
- DateTimeWithForecastTimeEntry: Assignments can be made with both a Date and with Start and End Times.
- A Forecast Time Entry is generated.
- In the Salesforce Calendar, an Assignment will created be created between the Start Time and End Time.
Scheduling Start and End Time
To schedule Start and End Times for an assigned resource, navigate to the Assignment Calendar.
- Click Assignments in the Engagement Menu.
- Click next to the Resource you would like to schedule.
- Select the Calendar icon from the menu that appears.
The Edit Activity Assignment window opens. Scheduling a day with Start and End Times works much like scheduling a day at a certain number of hours, or setting that day as Off. First, select the Scheduling option from under the Schedule Days header; then select the days to which that option should apply.
- From under Schedule Days, select
- Input Start and End Times.
- Select the days to which these Start and End Times will apply. Once selected, those days will be marked with this icon:
The Start Time and End Time dropdowns only present time options in half hour increments, but you can manually enter any valid time value (i.e. 9:15).
As you add Start and End Times to assignments in the Assignment Calendar (or as you forecast usage to a certain number of hours when the Scheduled Time Rule is DateTimeWithForecastTimeEntry or DateOnlyWithForecastTimeEntry), you may notice that the assignments you select display a pencil icon.
Clicking will allow you to define any Associated Attributes that have been defined for your system.
|This behavior is not available in the Assignment Calendar by default since it involves adding Custom Fields that reflect your needs for Scheduling Attributes. To enquire about configuring this in your system, please contact Kimble.|
Start and End Times when Entering Actual Time
If you have set Time Entry Rule to TimeAndDate for a Resourced Activity, all time booked against that Resourced Activity will require a Start and End Time.
Since Start and End Times are required, actualizing forecast usage by checking the box and clicking will not be possible. Users will need to manually enter Time by clicking .
When a user clicks to manually enter time into their Timesheet, that user will be required to provide a Start Time and End Time.
- Once both Start Time and End Time have been entered, Entry Hours will automatically populate based on the entered Times.
While any Start Time and End Time can be entered, remember that the Entry Hours format must still line up with the Engagement’s Actual Usage Entry Format.
Mobile Time Entry
If Start and End Times are required for Time Entry on a Resourced Activity, they will also appear on Kimble 2.0, the Kimble Mobile App.
Upon selecting Start Time or End Time, the user will be prompted to enter the Hour first, and then the Minute. To adjust the Hour, select the first set of numbers in the green band. To adjust the Minute, select the other set of numbers in the green band. Select OK to save.
Once Start Time and End Time are set, Units (Hour) will automatically populate. If the Units violate Usage rules, an Invalid Units message will appear with a valid End Time recommendation.